Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Comfort

     When I was 7 or 8, my Father would take me deer hunting.  He usually put me in a stand in the woods, as the shots would not be far ones.  To a small boy, even several hundred yards into the woods seemed like miles.
     My Father would walk me to my stand, and tell me to follow the "flags" back out the same way when it got dark.  He would then walk out, and take the other hunters to their stands.
     Since I was the first to be let off, I was the last to be picked up.  I never failed to walk out into the open field before it got dark.
     In the particular field outside the woods by my stand, there was a fence line.  As I waited for my Father to pick me up, I would walk that fence line.  As the minutes ticked off, and no Father, I would walk faster and faster, and become panicked.  I prayed and prayed to God. 
     I promised God many things in those worrisome and panicky minutes.  I would confess all of my 7 year old sins, and feel guilty for any and everything.  By the time I saw the lights of my Father's Jeep, tears would be streaming down my cheeks, and I would be trembling.
     Oh, how good it felt to be back in my Father's presence.  Just to sit in the back of that Jeep again felt like heaven. 
     Today, I still wonder when I feel my Heavenly Father has left the scene.  I cannot say I ever get used to God's silence.  When my life is over, I will have to ask God where He was during the times He seems to have left the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home