Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I Ain't Much Fun Since I Quit Drinking

The scripture reading at the temple today was good. Moses and the Ten Commandments. Fire on the mountain. Stiff-necked people, rebelling against 'the command of the Lord your God.'

Ever since becoming a Pharisee, I like the Ten Commandments story. Rebellion and God's wrath. That's what got my attention to begin with. I kind of knew deep inside that I wasn't all God wanted me to be. Once I started trying to follow all of the commandments, I began to see how bad people really are. They do things I would never do, at least in public. I knew I was on the right track.

I'll admit, trying to follow all of the commandments, and the rules and regulations that go along with them, is hard work. I'm never really sure where I stand with my superiors, much less with God. Sometimes I wonder what I am supposed to be obedient to; what rebellion I am to squash today. All I know is I don't want to end up like those party animals that made Moses so mad that he threw the Ten Commandments tablets on the ground and broke them.

Larry next door could have really benefited from hearing the story today. He and I talk about these things when I slip over there to taste his home brew. Larry and I went to school together, so I can pretty much be myself around him. But, Larry doesn't get it. And, he's not Pharisee material. You can't be a Pharisee and have as much fun as he does. And, he keeps bringing up this guy he met at a party - says this guy has forgotten more scripture than I'll ever know. That, by the way, is a sure tip-off that the guy, Jesus I think Larry called him, is not on the up and up. Don't get me wrong - privately I don't mind partying, and I sure don't mind quoting scripture, but just don't do both at the same time.

Larry says Jesus is telling people the Ten Commandments, and all of our rules and regulations for that matter, can be summed up by loving God and loving our neighbors. If that's true, I might be out of a job. No more enforcing God's laws for Him. On the other hand, I might be able to go to a party without feeling guilty about having fun. Having the responsibility of always judging others takes away all of the fun.

Like Larry says, I ain't much fun since I quit drinking - in public.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home