Monday, March 27, 2006

Go Transfigure

There I was, minding my own business, and my fishing nets, when this guy walks by and tell me to "follow" him. It was more like a request than a command, though. There was something about the man that drew me to him.

I followed, and watched, and listened. Crowds were always around us, and I thought that was pretty cool. Me, a mere fisherman, being identified with this miracle worker. I had never felt so important.

Then, he hit me with something I didn't expect. This man, who had called me, began to say that if I were really going to follow him, it would involve denying myself and taking up my cross, whatever that meant, and following him. He went on to say that if I tried to save my life, I would lose it, and if lost my life for him and his story, I would gain it.

I was scared and confused. I kept thinking, 'this guy called me to follow him, and I did. Now things are really getting heavy. Forget about the crowds, and the popularity; I think I'll go back to my fishing nets - sounds safer.'

Anyway, about a week later, he tells me and and a couple of other guys to come with him up this mountain. When we get to the top, all of a sudden this man's clothes turn the brightest white I had ever seen, and these two other guys show up out of nowhere, and....it was all pretty scary. And, here's where I think I may be going crazy - I hear this voice saying this man is his son, and he is pleased with him. Hmmm.

It was as if there was another reality. I mean, I saw my friends, and at the same time I saw these dead people, and we were all alive together at the same time. And, in the middle of us all, was this man I had been following around, shining like the sun.

Somehow, I'm comforted by what I saw. I think I will hang around for a little longer. One minute this man is telling me I'll have to die to really be one of his followers, and the next minute we're up on this mountain, and I see this life that I didn't even know existed.

I know - you probably think I'm crazy. But, who cares? Everyone's been telling me that since I left my fishing nets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home